It might seem like infidelity is a guy’s thing sometimes. But one may be surprised to know that according to the Archives of Sexual Behavior, both genders are likely to stray at the same rate with a marginal difference. It is also a fact, that people cheat now more than ever before.
A study was conducted with 918 men and women who were required to fill out an online survey on whether or not they were unfaithful to their partners and why. The results were shocking. Over 19% of women admitted to cheating and 24% of men admitted to cheating on their partners. Both statistics increased by 4% more than the previous year.
Men have outperformed women in cheating statistics of course, but it is also shocking to see that the rates have increased for both sexes. Women in particular are led astray, not by gorgeous men but from the discontent in their relationships. In fact, the most expressed motives for cheating are the feeling of loneliness and emotional detachment from their partner. Adding to the problem is the absence of communication, deficit of love and attention, boredom, sexual detachment and lack of intimacy.
A study that was published in the magazine ‘Hormones and Behavior’, discovered that certain points in a woman’s cycles make her significantly more prone to be doubtful of her spouse or boyfriend, particularly when he is very sexy. The study revealed that women were a lot more likely to find fault with their spouses. When this happens, a woman can get dissatisfied with her spouse and eventually seek a more desirable suitor elsewhere. Women overall are more likely to cheat to nurture their feelings and emotions.
Reasons why women cheat
1. She feels ignored, unloved, neglected, unappreciated and goes seeking an affair with someone who shows her love and appreciation. Women need these special intimate connections within a relationship.
2. She desires intimacy. Women need to feel connected in a relationship. Intimacy plays an important part in their sexual and mental well-being. Some women may turn to drugs, alcohol or promiscuous sexual behavior to fulfill these needs.
3. She is lonely in the relationship or bored with it. If she is bored, she will probably look to more romantic sexual affairs to add fun, thrill and excitement in her life.
4. She might be avenging your cheating. Women just as men can be very spiteful beings. Some may want to cheat on you simply because you cheated on them and they think that you deserve it.
5. She might cheat due to lack of sex. Yes, women do enjoy sex too and there are some women who are enormously dependent on sex. If these women are not given their demand in sexual satisfaction, they will cheat to fulfill their pleasure.
In many ways, men are different from women. Men have the tendency to cheat for different reasons as well. Some of these reasons are challenging for women to fully understand. Overall though, men are found to cheat because of more physical reasons. They often times have stronger sexual yearnings than their spouses and are driven by nature to have extramarital sexual affairs.
Reasons why men cheat
1. He lacks sex with his partner. Even more so than women, men need sexual activity in their lives. If his sexual needs are not met, he will eventually begin to have an affair.
2. To avenge his partner’s cheating. Just like women, men will engage in unkind behaviors to try to make their partner feel guilty for cheating on them.
3. He may cheat to know whether or not he can please women. By seeking extramarital affairs, men try to determine if they still have what it takes to win the heart of a woman and please her sexually. These men know that their wives were committed to the relationship and are already content with him and supportive of his sexual ability. They cannot determine their true prowess by having sex with their wives and seek their answers elsewhere.
4. He could be disgusted by his wife. Yes, after so many years of being comfortable in the relationship, some women find it unnecessary to take care of themselves the way they used to. Men like to see women take pride in themselves and their appearance all the time, and will often stray to the arms of a more attractive and put-together person.
5. He wants more love and attention. Men need love and care too. A man who is neglected by his spouse will almost always cheat with women who provide these for them.
6. He is simply seeking women who are more sexually adventurous and more attractive than his spouse. Sometimes men admit that everything at home is fine and they cheat to revive their sexuality.
When it comes to love and relations, both women and men share similar tendencies to cheat. Men however, cheat a bit more than women. Both sexes cheat for reasons mainly related to love, care and attention. Their behavior depends largely on their will to be faithful. Sometimes people grow out of love or they tire in a relationship. All being said, if you feel the desire to cheat for whatever reason, see if there are other ways of resolving your problems before starting an a affair.